Friday, October 29, 2010

Don't set out trying to be profound...


Don't set out trying to be profound.
David Francey
This is probably about the best advice I've ever received when it comes to songwriting. The gift of it comes from David Francey, with whom I had the absolute pleasure to spend some time with about 18 months ago. He patiently listened to some of my tunes, complimented my guitar playing, and helped me focus a few lines that weren't quite there yet.

A multi-Juno award winner, Francey was songwriter in residence at Manitoba Music, which is where I had the pleasure of meeting him - and later enjoying an intimate live performance by him and his excellent accompanying guitarist (my apologies - I've forgotten your name). With maybe just 30 people in the audience, David regaled his listeners with the birthing stories of some of his songs, and straightforward answers to questions only songwriters would ask. What an evening.

But back to not trying to be profound. I've taken David's advice to heart. and it really seems to be working. Lately I've been giving my muse more creative freedom to stop and start on its own rather than trying to force it into life. Sometimes that means an entire song spills itself onto a page; other times it means simply jotting down a concept for a song and leaving it at that. And on some days, just writing one great line and moving on to other non-writing tasks is equally satisfying. And the corollary to this practice is this: never be afraid to toss out a great line or two if it no longer fits where the songs is going. Words and lines are like pieces of a universal puzzle. Save 'em. If they're good, they'll find a home in another song.

I believe what David was trying to say is to trust one's muse. It can mean a lot of starts and stops. It can mean intense hours of creatively driven energy. When you feel it coming on, don't set it aside - you'll write better, sleep better, live better. And when the flow stops, set it aside - don't flog it, or you'll risk losing interest and killing the piece. Finally, allow yourself to feel good about whatever you've accomplished, whether it's a great three word idea or an entire verse or song. Feel satisfied, move on, come back to it later. (example: I thought I had finished writing a song called "Killin' Frost" some weeks ago. I put it on the shelf, came back to it last week with a clearer head, and the klinkers I was ready to live with a few weeks ago jumped out and nearly took my head off. I tossed out several full verses, wrote one new one, and changed up the melody on the last verse. Ahhhh.... now that's better!)

David's advice has gotten me out of a lot of songwriting log jams lately. As a result of not forcing it - not 'trying to be profound' - I think my work has improved remarkably - but listeners will be the ultimate judge of that. And you'll have exactly that chance if you're in the Winnipeg area on Thursday, Nov. 4. Come on down to the Folk Exchange, 211 Bannatyne  (doors at 7 pm) and hear six singer-songwriters - myself included -  share the stage and perform their original work just for you. And, I'll be bringing along three very talented people to back me up on a brand new arrangement for a brand new tune. If you like it, perhaps it will show up on my online player soon.

And, if you ever have the chance to chat about song writing with David, don't miss it. He's a real salt-of-the-earth kinda' guy, full of great advice about melody and lyric composition - two art forms he brings together so seamlessly they can't again be separated.

- dan silas

PS: David's Road Journal blog is a great place to learn about gig venues all over - where they are, what the audiences are like, and more. And it must be great to hang out with so many inspiring co-conspirators in music... which brings me to another piece of advice. Never stop listening to music. Lots of it. It is its own eco-system, feeding itself in a never ending cycle of absorption, evaporation, and precipitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment